Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Productivity


Sewing machine? I am a sewing machine. I finally finished all of Zoe's Christmas present foods and "paper" bag. I am most proud of the sandwich and the egg. The sewing machine was only used on the grocery bag (Nocona did that part...I mean give me a break I'm already sewing, to use the machine would be just too far). Everything else was done by hand. It was a lot of fun and actually pretty easy. Next up, a new pair of jeans (not really). In addition to felt foods, I made a mobile for baby Nathan, who still has yet to make his grand entrance, and I also made a sweet elephant clock out of the same old salvaged fence wood I used to make Nathan's changing table as well as a bunch of bird houses. I'll post some pictures of the little nature mobile and elephant clock later.

The weather here has been nothing short of spectacular the last couple of weeks. In the mornings and evenings, we bundle up in jackets and hats to walk the crunchy leafed path to the park. I intentionally dress too light in order to soak in the full cold of the northern blasts of wind. When I look down at Isabel riding in the stroller, I often see my feeling of contentment and joy expressed on her little face as she points her nose into the breeze and says, "wwwiiiind!" We swing and slide and climb until our need for lunch or dinner outweighs or want for fun. Then we load up and stroll home. So far, my days off have been a fantastic look into what the life of a wealthy heir might look like...minus the wealth. Maybe I was born during the wrong time period. I should have spent my days at home building barns with neighbors and working the fields along side my sons, while the wife and daughters cooked up hearty breakfasts and sewed awesome new clothes (note: I was just stating traditional roles of a time gone by. I would have no problem whatsoever putting my girls to work while I stayed inside and made a scrumptious meal and sewed some felt foods). It was a hard existence then, but you have to know at the end of the day they found a much deeper sense of satisfaction in their labors and life than we do now. Who says we can't still live like that!?
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment