Friday, December 11, 2009

A Lemony Catastrophe


Our soon to be former townhome complex is having its annual Christmas party tomorrow evening and since we live in one of the odd numbered homes we were assigned to bring a dessert. Now, I am not really one for social engagements - I much rather prefer sitting at home with a good book wearing clothes so comfortable that they surely are not suitable for public use (maybe I just don't spend enough money on clothes but their is a noticeable difference between the comfort of clothes deemed fashionable and the clothes us normal people lounge around in at home - why can't sweat pants be cool or a shirt with crusty pit stains be all the rage). Although I would rather stay home, we decided it would be nice to drop by for a few minutes, if for no other reason than to show off my perfectly perfected lemon bars courtesy of Martha Stewart's Cookies. So, I carefully and lovingly spent this afternoon preparing those delicious squares of tart goodness to share with my unfriendly neighbors who undoubtedly, with a single taste, would loathe their very existence for not having got to know me during my short stay in their neighborhood and would instantly shower me with offerings and gifts for blessing them with the greatest treats to ever cross their lips.

I donned my oven mitts and gently slid the 13x9 dish of sugary lemon heaven from the oven rack, I let it cool slightly and as I lifted the edges of the parchment paper (which I have never used before and will never use again)...PLOP! I lost my grip and my lemon squares became ugly lemon smush. My first thought of "OH CRAP!" was quickly interrupted by "Oh well." For I quickly realized the disaster was much to my favor. Although they look hideous they taste exactly the same. I no longer have to share my lemon smush/squares. Therefore I learned, when life gives you lemon smush just eat it and be glad you don't have to share all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment