Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Riff-Raff


Not a whole lot of special things happening around the house the past few days. Currently, its pouring down rain outside, which is fine with me since we have no plans other than tootling around the house doing chores and attempting to make bread that will actually rise this week. The fall plants seem to be doing pretty good. The leafy lettuce is growing long and bright green. There are a few banana peppers popping out, which I believe to be way behind schedule. The tomatoes have several buds flowering, the okra is still producing, and Izzy and I shared a bright red strawberry this morning.

My next door neighbors moved out, which leaves me greatly concerned about what kind of riff-raff might take their place next to the Front Porch Farm. Trust me, the majority of renters in this city are less than model citizens, and their kind seems to be spreading faster than Swine Flu in an elementary school with no soap. I don't have a problem with people from a lower socio-economic group, I have a problem with stupid people: the people that choose to live in filth and ignorance; the ones who continue to have kids while resenting the ones they have; the individuals who believe the wealthy who have worked hard to build that wealth owe them something; the people who denigrate others for getting an education; the parents who are too selfish to take the time to instill moral values in their children or discipline them for that matter. There are the poor and needy who need us to give - then there are the poor and stupid who need us to stop giving so the rule of natural selection can continue thus allowing society as a whole to improve. Basically, I hope I get nice neighbors who don't play music too loud or act like jerks.

No comments:

Post a Comment