Monday, September 21, 2009

Fall Tramp and a Face Lift

I received two separate revelations last night. One, Autumn is a cruel teasing mistress! She blew through for a couple of days to entice us with dreams of no more sunburns and less sweat only to run away as fast as she arrived. As I was driving home from work at 11pm, it was still a stuffy 82 degrees. How dare she play such games! Second, the Front Porch Farm looks like crap. I'm not talking production here, I'm talking appearance. The fact it was ugly was first presented to me not-so-subtly by Nocona a couple of days ago, but how could she say that. When I looked at it I saw nothing but production - okra lengthening, pumpkins blooming, spinach climbing, flowers brightening, and cantaloupe ripening. However, this evil seed of aesthetics was planted in my mind and as I drove into the drive way there it was. The ugliest freakin front porch in the neighborhood. Mixed matched pots strung out all over the place like battle field casualties. Not a hint of symmetry. Organization a long lost cousin. Just random placement of anything that will grow inside anything that can hold it. I was thankful it was dark outside while I hurried around (still in uniform) repositioning the raggedy pots behind the nice ones and taking inventory of what should be done away with all together. I was gardening with a gun on! Those plants were going to comply. Eventually I realized how utterly ridiculous I might look to the few cars driving by on the late night road and decided to postpone the effort until morning. So, I'm finishing up my breakfast and a cup of strong coffee and returning to the front porch face lift.

No comments:

Post a Comment