Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Birds, Birds, Birds


We recently rearranged our microscopic living room, which left one wall pretty bare. I figured since I always have an abundance of scrape wood lying around, I would try to create something cool out of wood to hang. I recently saw a beautiful iron bird sculpture on the wall of a home featured in Ty Pennington at Home magazine, and thought it would be pretty easy to make a smaller scale version out of wood...it was! All I used was the tools you see in the picture: pencil, jigsaw, clamp, sandpaper and wood glue. I took a big piece of el cheapo thin plyboard drew some half inch wide branches and used the jigsaw to cut them out. Next, I drew a bird, cut it out, sanded it, drew a bird, cut it out, sanded it, drew a bird, cut it out, sanded it, drew a bird, cut it out, sanded it........After that extremely delicate, excruciatingly long ordeal, I placed the birds on the previously cut and sanded branches then glued them in place. Finally, I stained the whole deal and called it done. Actually, I screwed up one portion that was boldly amplified once the stain was applied, but the problem was easily fixed by returning to my 3 friends: drew a bird, cut it out, sanded it. I glued him over the problem area, slapped on some stain, and taadaa. Bird Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment