Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Better Late Than Never


Cantaloupe Baby! Last night when I got home from work I took a second to poke around at the Front Porch Farm and discovered this little guy hiding under the leaves. He's about two months late but we'll take it! I had pretty much written off the cantaloupe crop for this year and had actually considered yanking up the cantaloupes the other day to make room for some new fall crops. I'm glad I didn't. I guess the key to growing urban-North Texas cantaloupes is four consecutive days of nonstop pouring rain. Now maybe he can convince his pumpkin cousins across the porch to come out and play too.

This morning was a productive one. It started with a steaming cup of fresh coffee and a bowl of cereal while listening to the latest Family Life Today podcast (my usual morning enjoyment). After breakfast, I kissed the girls goodbye as they left for their regular Stroller Strides exercise group then I went to the kitchen and made two big batches of Tomato/Basil (and Vegetable*) Soup. I also got the weekly bread started which is currently on rise #2 in the kitchen preparing itself to fill the house with its baking aromas. Due to the fact I still had about 20 tomatoes left over from a huge box of "blemished" ones I bought at the market, I decided to make some homemade pasta sauce. Let's just say...mmmmm! Now we are sitting around watching the rain beginning to fall again and hoping for a small reprieve so we can go outside of this tiny house and do something fun!

*I added some mushrooms, zucchini and carrots to the Roasted Tomato/Basil Soup recipe I posted back in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment