Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Home is Better Than Not Home


The storm draws near. A wintry Arctic blast with lows near 10 degrees is about to rock my new little farm-to-be over the next few days. I spent a chunk of the morning roaming around outside gathering up all the firewood we wood need for the duration. Despite the fact that the previous residents never cleaned out the gutters and still had rusted crusted Christmas lights up from at least 2 years ago, the one good thing I can say for the people who lived here before us was they graciously left behind a pile of neatly cut firewood. After this weekend, it will all be gone and then I will have to pony up some dough for an axe or a small chainsaw.

Hopefully, my little place and my little family can weather the storm without me because I am heading back to work on Friday evening (booooo). I haven't even thought about work since November 20, but I will be leaving my fairytale world of warm cookies, hot fires, good books, the latest DVDs, playing with kids all day, lounging on the couch, and watching football to return to the real world of freezing my buns on the iced over freeway working a 5 car pile-up, extraordinarily long residential burglary reports, the occasional foot pursuit, shoplifters, suicides, traffic stops, life threatening situations, and a bundle of stress. WooHoo. Actually, I enjoy my job. Its just the simple fact that home beats the pants off of not home. But, the bread must be won and the bacon brought. I wish you a warm weekend, if only in thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment