Friday, January 22, 2010

Guy in a Tie with a Chainsaw


First things first...I got a chainsaw. Nothing else needs to be said about that. Tim "The Toolman" Taylor grunts are the only acceptable response to such news.

Now, on to my new experiment. In my line of work, it is imperative to understand people - their facial expressions, body language, tone of voice and every little twitch that tells a story in opposition to their words. There is a significant change in people's reaction to me when I am at work versus when I am just tootling around town on various errands. So, I decided to see what kind of differing reactions I can get from people in public by wearing a tie every day for the next month. You need to understand my normal attire is a ratty old pair of jeans with a hole in the crotch and an untold number of various oil, grass, dirt and paint stains. I dress those up with a faded, frayed and frazzled t-shirt which most likely came from some sort of church event in the mid to late 90s. We are talking semi-homeless style here people. I went on my first tie-donned outing earlier to test my experiment in the great social science laboratory that is Target.

The results: 2 Hello Sirs, 1 Excuse me Sir, 7+ charming smiles, and 1 late-middle aged woman checking me out (and I'm not talking about the cash register).

1 comment: