Monday, August 31, 2009

Smoking is Dumb and Pants are Good

So, my supervisor and I saved a guy from certain death by banging on his door and waking him up after driving by and seeing his truck on fire inside his garage, which in turn ignited the whole house. Getting him out was the only thing I could do since my "quality" city-issued fire extinguisher wouldn't work (it most likely would not have made any difference in the outcome). The smoke became so great that it completely enveloped the neighbors' houses. Therefore, I had to run through the thick darkness and evacuate 2 kids whose mother thought it would be a good idea to just drive off and leave them in the house while it quickly filled with smoke. There is no shortage of Stupid in our society. Some people would greatly benefit from a good wake up slap.

Speaking of stupid, I have a renewed disrespect for smoking. I experienced a years worth of smoke in my lungs in less than a minute and let me tell you, smoke and lungs don't mix, and there is a reason firemen use a fancy oxygen mask and not just a shirt pulled up over their nose and mouth. I was hacking for about a half hour after my jog through the black cloud, and I still have black boogers.

Attention all people who sleep in your underwear: its a pretty good idea to keep some pants and a shirt within reach just in case your house catches on fire and you have to run outside in the middle of the day with the entire neighborhood staring, complete with media crews and helicopters over head. But, I guess it's better alive in your skivvies than dead fully clothed.

No comments:

Post a Comment