Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Bee Gone, Bee Found


My garden's lack of production this year can be traced to one major factor - no pollination. The bees are gone. I have not seen one single bee, or wasp for that matter, anywhere close to one of my plants. I have tried planting several different yummy smelling bright colored flowers to try to entice the bees into setting up shop, but all to no avail. Until yesterday, I had no clue where all the bees could be hanging out. While working a 4 car major hit and run accident on the rush hour, jam-packed, angry driver laden freeway, I found them. As I was strolling through the grassy median between the edge of the fast lane shoulder and the concrete barrier, I suddenly became aware of the wildlife moving around me. Grasshoppers, gnats, butterflies, wasp and bees! I was furious! Of all the places a bee could go to perform its natural talents, it chooses the grassy inside median of major metropolitan freeway during rush hour! I guess I need to just throw a bunch of trash on my front porch, honk a lot, spill some oil, blanket my plants in exhaust fumes and give them the middle finger on a regular bases so I too can attract those fuzzy pollinators. And here I thought organic was the way to go...time for a paradigm shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment