Monday, August 17, 2009

Garden Multiplication

Upon return from our travels, we were greeted at the front door by a horrible slaughter. The front porch garden was out of control. Many of the plants were past the point of CPR or electric shock for that matter. It was just too hot and the water too nonexistent. The survivors seemed to have banded together in some sort of sacrilegious festival to mourn for their fallen family. The spent tomato plants had Medusa-like spindles extending in all directions. The Malabar spinach and the cantaloupe had both reached out of their pots and intertwined in some sick incestuous relationship. And the new pumpkin vines had decided to grow into the nearest hedge.

I wish I could say it all happened while I was away, but, other than watering, I have been letting things go on autopilot for a couple of weeks prior. So, I spent the morning yanking out dead plants, pruning the injured and separating the viney lovers with a stern lecture. I took cuttings off of the tomato plants and replanted them in 4" pots to root. This is my first attempt at rooting tomatoes, so my fingers are crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment