Sunday, March 28, 2010

Well Worn Books


It is finished. No, that's not a reference to Easter. It is the reality of the long awaited bookshelf. In no way is it extra special. The shelf is pretty similar to a dozen other things I've built with one exception...procrastination. For some reason, I just kept draaaging my feet on finishing that baby. But, now its done and put into position, only to realize I don't have enough books. You must understand I have always had TOO many books for my shelves. A few years ago we began systematically selling and giving away handfuls of books. Those handfuls have apparently turned into dozens. "Where are all my books?!" I wondered aloud as I stocked two and a half of the seven shelves. I go into a lot of houses all day everyday at work and I can't stop the thoughts of how shallow (and by shallow I mean dumb) the people must be who have giant bookshelves with little to no books. Most of them are filled with little baskets, nick-knacks and movies/video games. It is very seldom I see a bookcase packed with a well worn collection of books. I suppose some of them could be like me and have had their eyes opened to the year-round bountiful harvest that is the library. Based on the type of people I deal with this is most likely not the case. So, I guess a bookshelf thirty-six percent full of books I have actually read beats the mess out of one filled to the tippity top with things I know nothing about. I'm going to go read...and then possibly go to the book store.

No comments:

Post a Comment