Monday, March 15, 2010

Small Town USA


I went to the country for a relaxing 4 day mini vacation, but got two sick kids. An emergency room visit and about five trips to town for meds and supplies later and we were home with a load of prescriptions for thrush sore-mouthed baby and allergy swollen-eyed toddler. What a beat down. Despite the difficulties, it was a fun trip. Somewhere in the midst of all the chaos I did manage to build a pretty amazing rocking giraffe out of old discarded wood for my buddy's upcoming baby (I forgot to take a picture of it before giving it away). The words of Justin Moore's Small Town USA ring true to me:

A lot of people called it prison when I was growin up
But these are my roots and this is what I love
Cause everybody knows me and I know them
And I believe that's the way we were supposed to live
Wouldn't trade one single day here in small town USA.

Life is far superior when surrounded by the happiness and helpfulness of family. Maybe I would find myself raving about life in the city if I had grown up with the same loving family in an urban neighborhood. I'm not sure, because the hard working life of soil stained hands is synonymous with my family. When I hear country, I think family. When I hear family, I think of the big blue house surrounded by woods, vegetable gardens, orchards, chickens, and the eclectic collection of stray pets collected through the years. I do believe that a simple country lifestyle of self sustainability being surrounded by family is the way we were supposed to live. I will be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment