Monday, February 22, 2010

Green Up Your Thumbs

I finished building most of the 3'x7' planter boxes for this year's garden, but I still need to buy some more supplies to finish off the last two. I also want to build 3 or four smaller versions to grow whatever kind of flowers I can find that will entice the maximum number of bees to make their daily commute to my garden for work. I am not what you would call a green thumb gardener. There are some people in my family who could throw an orange peel on the ground and out would pop an award winning orange tree. That genetic sequence was not written on my DNA. I am a strong believer that if you are not good at something, get good - read, watch, ask, contemplate, plan, practice. Barring some mental/physical handicap, anybody can be really good at anything. These thumbs are painted green. As excited as I am to get my hands back in the dirt and feel the hot sun scorching the back of my neck, Spring has not sprung quite yet around here. The forecast is calling for more snow tonight and tomorrow morning. It will probably force me to delay some of the outdoor projects I have planned for my days off.

It feels like a decade has past since my last day off from work. The winter days around here seem to drag longer and longer each week. Of course, I have been working double shifts, part time jobs, and "business" has been booming (good for me not so good for society as a whole). There will definitely never be a shortage of idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment