Sunday, March 6, 2011

Welcome Back Spring



Tiny leaves are starting to form on the barren winter-hardened tree branches and new peddles are bursting on the scene with the life we all missed over the last few months. Now its time for me to take a long deep breath... first, because it will be my last allergy-free breath for at least three months, and second, because it is time to work.

This week I will be breaking open the soil and dropping in seeds. I have high hopes for our little garden this year. We are saying adios to planting boxes and hello to the sound of tiller tines digging deep into the rich top soil that is my backyard. Besides, the planter boxes were transformed into a treehouse last Fall. So, buying a ton of new wood for new boxes, not to mention the dirt to fill them, was pretty much out of the question.

On Wednesday, weather conditions pending, I will till it all up, rake out any unwanted weeds, mix in some good compost (both store bought and my own year long rotted concoction), form rows and start the first crops. The first seeds in will be potatoes, onions, lettuce, spinach, peas, and carrots. I might also start two or three blackberry plants along the fence.

Welcome back Spring. Let the work begin.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment