Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Man Parts


My daughter's first 2 1/2 years of life saw a ton of homemade stuff from dad. There has been furniture, toys, purses, clothes, pencil bags, dolls, etc. When it comes to arts and creativity girls are easy, but what about the boy. I know you are saying, why the crap are you wanting to make a bunch of sissy homemade junk for the boy. I say, because I like to make sissy homemade junk! If you have a problem with it then we can just step outside and settle it real quick. OK since that is settled lets move on. When you look around at all these clever little crafting blogs and websites all you can find is girls' stuff. What's that you are saying...they are filed with girl stuff because only chicks are into making sissy homemade junk? And I say, do we need to step back outside and have another reminder that I fight for a living. Actually, I agree. For the most part making homemade stuff is primarily a chick pastime, but it makes me happy. I was raised by a dad and a mom. In the same way the rumbling thunder of 20" 55cc gas powered chainsaw brings a joyful grunt from my gut to my lips, I also find joy in creating something as painstakingly intricate as a whole new set of felt foods for my daughters kitchen. I no longer feel the need to force myself into a hyper-masculine gender stereotype. I am both a kick ass, gun-toting, power tool loving man, and a loving, pretend play, cooking/sewing man. So, if you still have a problem with that... Anyway, I discovered these awesome felt watches for little guys over at Made. They started a new annual tradition last year called Celebrate the Boy, which hopefully they will continue this February, where they give a ton of great ideas for little guy creations. Tomorrow I will try to make Nathan one. Now to all you guys...go ask a girl for some help, sew a little craft, then walk to the bathroom, shut the door, pull your pants down and I assure you your man parts will still all be there.
*Photo from Made

No comments:

Post a Comment