Thursday, February 9, 2012

Shovel It



The current state of my garden is a dandelion coup d'etat.  The garden has suffered complete and utter neglect in which my bitter yellow-flowered puff ball adversary has stepped full force into the void.  Something needed to be done.  Therefore yesterday I struck out on my latest gardening venture.

Around a year ago, I read a book about an MIT grad who became shamefully aware of how completely technology has somewhat enslaved us, its users, and in an attempt to prove his hypothesis that less technology would lead to more leisure time, he joined a semi-Amish community for a technology-free year.  During his year, he discovered the hardest labor was the wheat threshing, which was entirely for the survival of horses.  The primary function of the horses was plowing the fields prior to planting.  After a grueling season of threshing with men who were in far superior physical condition, the MIT grad came up with an interesting proposal.  He suggested getting rid of the horses and just turning the fields with nothing more than hands and shovels, which although the notion was rejected, the others did agree plowing the rows by hand would definitely be easier than threshing.

This gave me a wonderfully terrible idea.  Since a tiller cost around sixty bucks to rent, and since I have much more energy than I do funds, I have determined to hand till my garden this year with nothing more than these two mitts typing on this keyboard and my trusty Home Depot shovel.

I started shoveling yesterday....I might be done by April....maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment