Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Revived Chest

While digging through a storage barn at my parents' farm, I discovered an old rat turd and spider infested chest of drawers.  The chest was chipped up dark green and had some internal and external damage.  I hauled the nasty thing out of the barn and over to my dad's workshop where I originally thought I would just sand down the chipped paint areas and paint over the whole thing.  However, when I started sanding, the paint came off easily to reveal a nice wood grain underneath.


The game plan then changed: Sand/scrape off all the paint to return the chest to its original wood.  Initially, that seemed like an easy task, but the beveled edges required some serious work.  My dad and I meticulously sanded the tiny beveled areas using a Dremel Tool, a chisel and pieces of sand paper wrapped around a specially angled piece of wood.


Next, I stained the whole thing using Minwax Early American wood stain.


Once I got the dresser home, I slathered on 2 coats of polyurethane with a light bit of sanding in between coats. Here is the finished result. Not bad for a former piece of forgotten junk... Sorry the picture kind of sucks.


2 comments:

  1. Can't believe you made that thing look so good. Last time I checked the barn I actually heard the thing living in there moving around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't forgotten ..... thieving rascal.

    ReplyDelete