Sunday, July 10, 2011

Cheap Art

I am almost done with this button-down collar shirt for the boy. I have never attempted to make anything this complex before. I made a rough pattern from one of his store bought shirts and started chopping it out of some $1.25 remnant fabric. So far so good. I just have sleeves, pocket, and buttons left. I was seriously concerned about button holes but then I discovered Nocona's sewing machine has a magic button hole making setting which is easy enough for a monkey to use, and surprisingly I actually figured it out.

I used to disregard sewing as a chick hobby, and I even recall my own boisterous insults and laughter thrown at my brother when he learned to use a sewing machine several years back. However, now I see sewing as a true art. It is an exceedingly difficult expression of creativity. I value artistic ability above most other attributes , but it is the frugality of sewing that entices me learn and try more. We are talking about a tailored button-down collar shirt for under two bucks and less than a half days work.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2

No comments:

Post a Comment